Iowa created the County Attorney as an elected position in 1846. The primary responsibility of the County Attorney’s Office is criminal prosecution. The Prosecutor in many ways is the heart of the Criminal Justice system. Except for simple misdemeanors, all charging decisions rest with the prosecutor. No jury or court can convict a person of a serious crime without a prosecutor first determining that pursuing a criminal charge will serve the interest of justice. Therefore, the County Attorney’s daily challenge is to deal appropriately with the people involved in the criminal justice system.
Victim / Witness Program
The following information has been developed to provide basic information about the complex, and sometimes confusing, legal process. The Victim/Witness Program is available to answer questions about the general process or the particular criminal case in which you are involved. Please feel free to contact the program at 641-421-3101 from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm Monday through Friday if you have questions.
Driver’s License Reinstatement Program
For many, outstanding court debt has become a source of ongoing stress, financial hardship, and in some cases, additional court costs resulting from contempt of court and jail time. The Cerro Gordo County Attorney’s Office has established programs to assist residents of Cerro Gordo County as well as non-residents who have delinquent financial court obligations in Cerro Gordo County. The opportunity to obtain a driver’s license while working to pay outstanding debt is one that can make all the difference in a person’s success in reaching financial stability. Some individuals may not qualify for driver’s license reinstatement at this time, but would be eligible for a payment plan through our office while they work to meet the requirements for driver’s license reinstatement.
- Benefits of Enrollment
- You have the possibility of one easy payment for all of your delinquent cases.
- We can lift a hold with the County Treasurer’s Office to allow you to register your vehicle.
- We will work with you to avoid garnishment of your wages or contempt charges for non-payment.
- You can avoid a collection fee that is added to any outstanding debt by the collections agency contracted by the State of Iowa.
- Most importantly, you may be able to get your driver’s license back while you are making payments on your outstanding debt.
- Requirements to Participate
- Proof of employment (two pay stubs) or proof of other income, such as disability, SSI, FIP, etc.
- Obtain and maintain insurance on your vehicle before we will send a notice to the Iowa Department of Transportation to reinstate your driver’s license.
- No active warrants.
- DOT civil penalties must be paid OR if you owe a significant amount, you must make a payment toward your civil penalty before admission to the program.
- Entry into a license reinstatement agreement is entirely at the discretion of the Cerro Gordo County Attorney’s Office. Repeated disrespectful or otherwise unacceptable behavior may result in our refusal to accept you into the program.
- If you are not sure if you meet the requirements, we will work with you and we still encourage you to apply. Even if you are not immediately admitted to the license reinstatement program, we can enroll you in a plan to work toward fulfilling all the requirements.
- We are able to set up a payment plan while you become in good standing with Child Support. We will not reinstate your license until the Child Support suspension is lifted and/or taken care of.
- Drivers License Reinstatement Application
- Printable Form – Print & Mail In
Download this form, print it out, fill it out with pen, then either drop off at the courthouse or mail it to the address below.
- Online Fillable Form – Fill & Submit Form Online
Click this link to fill out the form online and submit it directly to the Attorneys office via email.
- Offline Fillable Form – Download PDF Form, Fill, Print, and Mail or Email
- Contact Information