The Cerro Gordo County Treasurer’s office accepts passport applications on behalf of the U. S. Department of State. U.S. citizens planning international travel may apply for their passports Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. at the Treasurer’s Office, 220 N Washington, Mason City, Iowa. The Treasurer’s Office will also be offering passport photo processing for an additional $10.00.

Did you know…

  • that you must provide evidence of U.S. citizenship when applying for a U.S. passport? This includes submitting a certified U.S. birth certificate or another acceptable citizenship document such as a naturalization certificate.
  • your passport has an expiration date? Some countries will not let you enter if your passport will expire in fewer than six months. Before you leave our nation, check your passport’s expiration data.
  • if you’re planning to study abroad you should apply for a passport at least three months prior to your departure? Forget the hassle and expedite fees.
  • that children need extra documentation to obtain a passport? Every minor traveling overseas, regardless of age, must have a valid passport. There are special requirements, including having both parents and/or guardians provide consent.
  • you could become a smart traveler by enrolling in STEP? An informed traveler is a safer traveler. Stay informed and stay connected while traveling abroad. Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP), a free department of State service, to receive travel alerts and warnings for your destination. Register online at

For application forms, information on documentation required, fees, and a wealth of other passport and international travel information, visit the only official website for passport information:

To enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP), a free department of State service, register online at

Required Items!

When you come to apply for your passport, make sure you bring the following necessary items with you!

  • Passport or Renewal application (available in our office)
  • CERTIFIED birth certificate (Available in the Recorders office if you were born in Cerro Gordo County
  • Identification
  • 2×2 Passport photo (available in our office)
  • Personal check or money order (CASH NOT ACCEPTED)

Other Useful Links