Renew your registration online!

Renew your registration online!

The treasurer acts as an agent for the State of Iowa, Department of Transportation and Department of Revenue and Finance in the processing of motor vehicle transactions. The treasurer collects appropriate fees, forwards the funds to the appropriate state agency, and retains a portion (see Fee Table below) to help defray the expenses of the treasurer’s office. Below are listed some of the motor vehicle transactions performed by the treasurer’s office:

  • License, title and collect Road Use Tax (or Iowa Lease Tax) on all motor vehicles and trailers purchased (or leased) for use in Cerro Gordo County
  • Annual registration renewal for all vehicles registered in Cerro Gordo County
  • Issue replacement, salvage, in-lieu and in-transit titles
  • Record and release security interests
  • Issue junking certificates for vehicles that are dismantled or no longer operable
  • Process registration refund claim forms for vehicles sold, junked or traded
  • Issue special plates (personalized, collegiate, etc.)

Online Registration Renewal

It is possible to renew your vehicle online. The accepted payment methods are Discover Card, MasterCard, Visa Card and eCheck. An eCheck is a method of debiting the funds electronically from your checking account, just as if you would write a check. The Service Delivery Fee for credit card is approximately two percent (2%) of the total fee due. When paying by eCheck the Service Delivery Fee is $0.40.

Before you begin, you will need the PIN from your renewal notice. If you have lost your notice, there is a link on the renewal website for you to get your PIN.

Renew your vehicle tag(s) online.

Fee Table

 Fee ChargedCounty Retains
Title$25.00 (Beginning 01/2009)$2.50 per title
Registration$varies4% of fee collected
Replacement Title$25.00 (Beginning 01/2009)$4.00 per title
Security Interest$10.00$6.00 per title
Road Use Tax5% of purchase price$1.00
Extra fees for special plates are directed to the appropriate State-managed fund(s).

Other Links

Motor Vehicle Forms Department of Transportation Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)